Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Wonderful Wikis

Out of all the TECH tools we have been introduced to in class thus far- Blogs, Web Design, and Wikis- my favorite has been the Wiki. I think the Wiki is an excellent technological tool to utilize in a classroom setting because it establishes a sense of community. Wikis allow students to collaborate and interact with one another through editorial access, as well as feel a sense of ownership and responsibility over their education. Plus the format of the site we used, Wikispaces, is accessible and easy to navigate. Of course it was a bit challenging at first, but with practice the posting of information became quite simple- almost second nature.

In relationship to the Core Curriculum Content Standards for Technology, grade 12, a classroom Wiki fulfills the CPI# 8.1.12.A.3- participating in online courses, learning communities, social networks, or virtual worlds and recognize them as resources for lifelong learning- located under Strand A: Technology Operations and Concepts. A Wiki is an online learning community as well as a resource that students can refer to anytime beyond their one year spent in a class. In regards to Strand B: Creativity and Innovation, Wikis also fulfill CPI# 8.1.12.B.1- design and pilot a digital learning game to demonstrate knowledge and skills related to one or more content areas or a real world situation. Although I am confused as to what a digital learning game means, students can definitely post information onto Wikis that demonstrate skills related to other content areas or real world situations. Wikis also accomplish CPI# 8.1.12.C.1- develop an innovative solution to a complex, local or global problem or issue in collaboration with peers and experts, and present ideas for feedback in an online community- which is located under Strand C: Communication and Collaboration. Provide students with a problem to solve and have them collaborate with peers and present their ideas for review and feedback through a classroom Wiki. Wikis can also be used as outlets to practice Digital Citizenship, covering all the standards in Strand D as well as Strand E: Research and Information Literacy and Strand F: Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision-Making.

One Wiki project I can think of in relation to The Great Gatsby (the topic I did my Wiki on for class) is creating a database for the 1920s. Allow students to choose a specific cultural, political, or economical aspect of society (theater, cars, the World Series, hospitality, sports, dance, fashion, real estate, advertisement, etc.) to research and contribute to an online Wiki database that their peers can refer to for background knowledge while reading the novel. Doing so, all the basic technological requirements of the Core Curriculum Content Standards for Technology, grade 12, are covered and the students are provided the opportunity to enjoy learning by researching how their interests existed during the Jazz Age. Plus students love Wikipedia (as do I), inform them they are making their own classroom version of it and their interest is sure to be sparked.

Wikis are wonderful! I truly can not see any negatives to using them, besides students not having access to a computer at home- but even then the Wiki can become part of an in-class project. I think these standards are appropriate for students to properly develop in this technologically-driven time. I do not know exactly how many job descriptions I see these days where applicants are required to have basic computer skills, but it is a significant amount! If skills are not acquired in the classroom, and students lack access to a computer in their homes, where will they learn? How could they possibly have an equal opportunity to become successful in this society without having basic, foundational technological skills? I believe these standards exist as a resource for educators and schools to ensure their students acquire the necessary technological skills. The standards are also flexible- easy to incorporate into any lesson or unit plan.

2 comments:

  1. I love your idea of your wiki for The Great Gatsby. Its an assignment that students will definitely enjoy doing. I also agree with you that there truly are no negatives to using Wikis. They are definitely a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that wikis are a great tool for English teachers to use! I was in a class in high school and we used a wiki for Something Wicked This Way Comes. I remember being afraid of it at first. I didn't know if I would be able to keep up (considering I was technologically impaired). But, much like this class, I learned a lot. I was actually able to learn more from the book by seeing what my friends posted.

    ReplyDelete